19/07/2008

Period Rabbit & Omelet

So I call my parents, today, and catch them eating lunch. "I'm listening to the Trout", I mention - the Schubert quintet: "we're eating rabbit, here, and some omelet", responds my father.

I'll keep that in mind if I compose a quintet one day. I'm sure the "Rabbit & Omelet" will be just as popular as the Trout; if not more!


On other news, I've had a wonderful morning listening to parts of the recent Anima Eterna Beethoven sympony cycle, Jos van Immerseel conducting, truly a (period) delight.

And I say this as someone who is not particularly fond of "historically informed" (period performance) Beethoven interpretation.
 Yet this cycle "delivers the goods", as they say...


Finally, I at last acquired a very persistently elusive 1964 recording of the "Heroic" Polonaise (in A flat) by, of course, Frédéric Chopin, courtesy of the late and great Artur Rubinstein.
 Which I admit was available via an easy-to-get RCA release all along. But I wish record labels would be wiser in promoting their wares, repeating the same wish every time I see another bland recording of "crowd pleaser A" get the spotlight instead of the real treasures in the respective label's catalogue. End of rant.


[Lots of editing, as is the custom.

Make what you will of the content, before it changes again!]

[Ouch. What a typo! Thankfully it's gone now. Then you ask why I keep editing those posts; or you don't ask, but I answer regardless...]

No comments:

Post a Comment